Diablo 2 ressuected how to troubleshoot and solve crashing

I had this issue crashing when using town portal, but I was so excited for D2R and wanted to play so badly.. I decided that I will crack this issue.

Setup

CPU: AMD Ryzen5600x
Motherboard: ASUS TUF GAMING B550-PLUS
Memory: Kingston 32GB
GPU:Sapphire PULSE RX 5700 XT
PSU: FSP HEXA+ 400W

Reasoning

I went through testing my PC with OCCT, great free tool, you can test each component of PC separately. So I went component by component and all was fine.. except the PSU test, this was crashing immediately, just like when I use the portal in D2R. 

The test uses CPU AVX2 + GPU stress test, to draw as much power as possible and uses more components at the same time. This sent me on path of PSU issue. Then I googled some more and found brilliant article on Igor's lab as he was testing PSUs, there are these "hidden" spikes of power draw that exceed the amount of what the PSU rails were designed to deliver. The OCP aka the over current protection kicks in and sends your whole system to a hard reboot. This is accompanied by the WHEA-Logger Event seen in the Windows event log.

Solution 

After reading the Igor's Lab article, I knew that I had to lower my CPU and GPU power consumption somehow. For a AMD GPU this is pretty straight forward. Just use: "Under volt GPU" in AMD Radeon software > Performance tab > Tuning sub-tab. For CPU I just went to "stock" meaning no PBO, no performance enhancement in BIOS. You can under volt your NVIDIA GPU using MSI afterburner, explained in this undervolting video. The 450W PSU is really a minimum for this particular setup.

Another solution is to buy power supply with bigger wattage that you have. Unfortunately there is no way around this.

Aftermath 

Done, no crashes anymore.. in the PSU test or in D2R. I did buy a 750W PSU tough.. the Be quiet! STRAIGHT POWER 11 Platinum 750 . Just to have peace on my mind, that no crashing is possible also with future GPU's.The new PSU also allows to run D2R without under volting the GPU.

Obľúbené príspevky z tohto blogu

Ako som staval anetnu.